Posted on: March 3, 2016
Ottawa – The European Union Delegation to Canada and the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) are pleased to launch the 2016 edition of the European Union-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship.
The EU-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship aims to recognize outstanding journalistic talent among young Canadians. Since 2001, three candidates have been selected every year to participate in a week-long study tour to experience the EU institutions, the Canadian Mission to the EU, and media outlets in Brussels. Winners will also attend the daily European Commission press briefing.
All expenses are paid for by the European Union Delegation to Canada.
Prior to the trip, winners will be invited to an awards ceremony co-hosted with the CAJ in Ottawa. Winners will also benefit from a one-year CAJ membership or one-year CAJ membership renewal. The EU-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship seeks to reinforce links between Europeans and Canadians and to raise awareness of the European Union among a new generation of Canadian students and journalists. Winners are required to submit a sample of their work and to chronicle their study tour experience online or in print during the study tour or upon their return from Europe (i.e. published articles, blogging, social media).
Eligibility: In order to be eligible, participants must be:
* Actively enrolled in a Canadian university/post-secondary institution or active in the field of journalism
* Between the ages 18-30
* Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Applications must include:
1. Sample of work
* Applicants are invited to submit a sample of their work, in English or French (recently published or unpublished), focusing on a current issue facing the European Union or European Union-Canada relations, in particular on the 40th anniversary of the European Union’s presence in Canada<http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/canada/documents/news/news2016/40_pressrelease.pdf>. In terms of format, the work may be either written (a news story or opinion piece of maximum 1,000 words, recently published or unpublished) or audio-visual (a report of up to 90 seconds duration, previously aired or not).
* The jury will pay particular attention to journalistic qualities and talent, including rigorous research and factual accuracy.
2. Letter of motivation
* Applicants must write a letter of motivation clearly outlining specific topics they plan to write about during/upon return from Europe and where their work will appear (media outlet, social media, blog etc.)
* Winners will have complete editorial independence and, while the Delegation and the Canadian Association of Journalists will retain the right to publish/reproduce their work to promote the program in future years, applicants will maintain intellectual property rights of their work.
* The letter should also include the reasons for applying and the anticipated benefits to be derived from participation in the study trip.
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
The closing date for applications is 2 May 2016
Please note that incomplete applications, i.e. applications not containing all of the above documents submitted at the same time, will not be considered.
For audio-visual entries, please send online link by e-mail or USB by mail with the application.
Applications are to be sent either by e-mail to:
DELEGATION-CANADA-POL@eeas.europa.eu<mailto:DELEGATION-CANADA-POL@eeas.europa.eu> or by mail to the following address:
Delegation of the European Union to Canada
Ref.: EU-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship
150 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1P1
Final selection by the Jury:
The Jury, consisting of EU Delegation representatives, professional journalists and academics, will meet in May 2016 to select the best pieces received by the closing date. The decisions of the Jury will be final. The three winners will be notified directly.
The Study Tour will take place in autumn 2016.
For further information:
European Union Delegation to Canada
Tel.: (613) 563-6354
Canadian Association of Journalists President
Tel.: (647) 968-2393